Marriage has been under attack for a while now, even within the body of Christ. I believe many Christians know what God expects but they never realize how much it requires of them at the point of taking vows. They get in and are required to give what it really takes and people become weary.
But there is a divine cry coming from heaven. Do you realize your marriage is the only thing that reminds the world of God. The Bible likens your marriage to the relationship between Christ and the Church. The oneness in the Trinity is the same as with husband and wife. The have become one is the same as the three-in-one of the Godhead. They are three yet one.
That is why God is depending on you to make a good a show of your marriage so that the world does not have an excuse before God.
The Passion Translation(TPT) of book of Song of Solomon 2:16 says, ‘I know my beloved is mine and I have everything in you for we delight ourselves in each other’. This delight in each other must be fanned and kept alive and you need a few things to keep the fire stoked and alive.
- Commitment-God is calling for your full commitment. Marriage is a covenant and not a contract. Your being marred requires intentionality or else the little foxes will spoil your garden. It must be evident for all to see.
- Compassion- Life is hard these days. You need to encourage and celebrate your spouse. You need to listen to your spouse. It is really not easy for your spouse to do what they do in the marriage. You must show compassion, empathy and understanding.
- Patience- it appears we can be patient with everyone else but your spouse. Can you please be patient to understand where your spouse is coming from? Can you be patient for your spouse to get to where you are? Can you be patient to make decisions concerning your spouse and family? Patience is key to building a strong marriage relationship.
- Generosity- We need to be large hearted and generous towards our spouses. You need to be generous in celebrating your spouse. Be generous in praise and appreciation. Be generous in gifts, little and big ones. Be generous in serving each other. Be generous with money. Give as much as you can afford. Be generous with sex. Don’t deny one another.
- Belief/Faith- Have faith in each other. Believe that even the things that have not manifested will eventually materialize. Focus on the good. Focus on each other’s strengths, do not lose faith in what you have. Keep your hop alive especially in the bad times, all will be well.
- Forgiveness- Couples offend each other often. We need to apologize as many times as we need to each other. We need to repent of wrongs done to each other. When you do, you oil the wheel of your relationship. Each time you disagree or wrong one another, you must allow the Holy Spirit bring a washing and a release to continue to relate with one another.
- Wisdom to recognize the real enemy- Your enemy cannot be your spouse. The devil is your enemy. He throws darts all the time, making your spouse look bad, giving wrong interpretations of your spouse’s actions and words. You must recognize that you both have a common enemy. He fights dirty and if you let him, he will destroy what you have.
Proverbs 24:3,4 the Classic Amplified Version, says, “Through skillful and godly wisdom is a house (a life, a home, a family) built, and by understanding it is established (on a sound and good foundation. And by knowledge shall its chambers (of every area) be filled with all precious and pleasant riches”.
This is what Godly wisdom, understanding and knowledge is made of. If you are able to bring all these into your marriage, you will love what you build and it will stand the test of time. It will withstand storms of life and raise children that are strong.
God is indeed counting on you.