The Conquest of Faith,The 21st Century Perspective.
The Basic Questions of Faith
What is faith?
Faith is confidence or trust in a person, thing, deity, view, or in the doctrines or teachings of a religion. It can also be defined as belief that is not based on proof, as well as confidence based on some degree of warrant. The word faith is often used as a synonym for hope, trust, or belief.
NOW FAITH is the assurance (the confirmation, the title deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses].
How did Faith originate?
God is the originator of faith. By the sovereignty of God He created the heavens and the earth by faith.
By faith we understand that the worlds [during the successive ages] were framed (fashioned, put in order, and equipped for their intended purpose) by the word of God, so that what we see was not made out of things which are visible.
1 IN THE beginning God (prepared, formed, fashioned, and) created the heavens and the earth. [Heb. 11:3.]3 And God said, Let there be light; and there was light.
He spoke the entire creation into being, one step after the other. He simply spoke and believed in Himself that they would be and they were. He could have done it any other way but He chose to bring creation into being by faith.
Who is supposed to exercise faith?
26 God said, Let Us [Father, Son, and Holy Spirit] make mankind in Our image, after Our likeness, and let them have complete authority over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, the [tame] beasts, and over all of the earth, and over everything that creeps upon the earth. [Ps. 104:30; Heb. 1:2; 11:3.]
27 So God created man in His own image, in the image and likeness of God He created him; male and female He created them. [Col. 3:9, 10; James 3:8, 9.]
28 And God blessed them and said to them, Be fruitful, multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it [using all its vast resources in the service of God and man]; and have dominion over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and over every living creature that moves upon the earth.
God created man, gave him a sphere of authority and a mandate to be fruitful, multiply and fill, subdue and dominate the earth and everything that is in. To fulfil this mandate, man was expected to use the instrumentality of faith.
But the just shall live by faith [My righteous servant shall live by his conviction respecting man’s relationship to God and divine things, and holy fervor born of faith and conjoined with it]; and if he draws back and shrinks in fear, My soul has no delight or pleasure in him.
6 But without faith it is impossible to please and be satisfactory to Him. For whoever would come near to God must [necessarily] believe that God exists and that He is the rewarder of those who earnestly and diligently seek Him [out].
Who is the Just?
The people that belong to His Kingdom. His kingdom is made up of people who have been justified by Faith in His Son Jesus Christ. Each member of His kingdom has a specific mandate, purpose, destiny designed by God in His sovereignty for him to fulfil. That would be called the will of God for his or her life. In living out the purpose and fulfilling His God given destiny. He is expected to live it by faith.
Where and when is faith supposed to be exercised?
When God began creation, he did it by faith. He created man and gave him a mandate which he was supposed to establish by faith. When Jesus came, he came with a message about the kingdom of God which he handed over to His disciples to propagate. They were supposed to carry out that mandate through the instrumentality of faith.
Faith is supposed to be exercised here on earth by people who belong to the Kingdom of God, who have a mandate to bring the kingdom to the earth to control the systems of this world to conform the kingdom of God System. To fulfil the will of God, every member of the Kingdom has a role to play , a specific purpose to bring him to fulfil destiny revealed to Him by God.
How does faith work?
According to Charles Spurgeon, there are two kinds of faith, seeking faith and heroic faith. Seeking faith is sustained by prayer, while heroic faith believes despite contradictions.
- Faith is usually based on the word of God. Romans 10:17 says o faith comes by hearing [what is told], and what is heard comes by the preaching [of the message that came from the lips] of Christ (the Messiah Himself).
The only way to build faith is to be constantly in the Word of God. It is the Word that builds faith in our hearts to accomplish for God and fulfil destiny and purpose.
- Faith will be tried by persecution and refined to work out patience in our lives.
James 1:3 Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your faith bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience.
- Faith is evident by the things we do. James 2: 18 But someone will say [to you then], You [say you] have faith, and I have [good] works. Now you show me your [alleged] faith apart from any [good] works [if you can], and I by [good] works [of obedience] will show you my faith.
Faith always motivates to action-Do something. Faith does not work alone it always requires an action. Abraham acted. Elijah Acted. David acted. They all acted on what they believed.
- God has given us gifts and enablement to work in faith. He has equipped us to work the path of faith, He has called us to. Whatever purpose he has called you to, He has adequately equipped you for with gifts and abilities that would be necessary to fulfil His will for your life.
- Faith requires that we fight spiritual battles. Faith is a spiritual phenomenon. It starts from the unseen realm and culminates in the natural realm where we can experience it. In the spiritual realm there are forces which oppose us which we must fight in prayer through the power of the Word of God.
- Faith has a cost. There is always a price to pay for the faith exercised to full God’s purpose for your life. Jesus had to die before he rose. Joseph became a slave, went to prison before he could become Prime Minsiter to fulfil his destiny.
What is the result of exercising faith?
Conquest, victory, triumph, is the result of exercising faith. Having believed, worked the path of faith, paid the price and fought the battles, victory is assured. It may take a while but it cannot fail.
Is faith still relevant in the 21st Century?
As long as we belong to the kingdom of God, faith is the only way to please Him no matter the dispensation.
The realities of 21st century living in Nigeria
- Declining social systems
- Health issues
- Poor leadership.
- Financial instability
- Changing weather conditions
- High maternal & Infant death rates
These are all opportunities for faith to manifest the Kingdom of God and establish His will in the affairs of men.
Location-Iwaya, ijora, Ajegunle, Empire
How can we bring the Kingdom of God by faith to these areas?
- Preach the gospel
- Pray for them
- Teach the Word
- Bring poverty alleviation programs to them- Teach them to fish so they can improve their lives
- Take up the education of some of the promising intelligent kids we find in these neighbourhoods
- Provide maternal and infant care to pregnant women, babies and young children
- Provide basic health care
Big Question? Do we have the resources to do these things?
But we have faith to believe God and establish the Kingdom of God in these neighbourhoods despite our not having the resources.
To bear this burden would cost us
- Our resources
- Hard Work
But at the end of the day we would have our Conquest of Faith.
- Young people with education
- People able to live better lives
- Women and Children thriving in good health
- People healed
- The kingdom of God established
Our Conquest of Faith